Why did Yasin Bhatkal choose Goa village for reconnoitring?
Chapora: Of all the places in Goa, why did Indian Mujahideen co-founder Yasin Bhatkal chose Chapora, a village known for its narcotics trade and drug shacks, to lie low and reconnoitre the state for his terror plans?
There was a reason for this overlap between the world of terror and drugs, say top police officials, who escorted Bhatkal and National Investigation Agency (NIA) officials around Goa earlier this week for a probe.
Bhatkal revealed to the officials the places he had recced, stayed in and interacted with other members of his network.
Police say Bhatkal is responsible for more than 100 deaths from terror strikes across India. The Indian Mujahideen co-founder is a key accused in the German Bakery blast in Pune in 2012.
"The narcotics network everywhere, including Goa, works on pay-offs to the local police officials, who then turn a blind eye to places like Chapora, where drugs are openly sold," a senior police official told a news agency on condition of anonymity.
"It is a perfect hideout because police aren`t `interested` in visiting these areas for obvious reasons," he said.
Chapora, a narrow-laned, fishing village 25 km from the capital, may not be a must-visit place for most of the several hundred thousand tourists who land in Goa every year.
But for those looking for hashish, marijuana or a few pills of Ecstasy or even a vial of Ketamine, a horse-tranquiliser which doubles up as a recreational drug, Chapora is the place to be.
Some of the biggest listed drug dealers in Goa hail from Chapora or its outlying areas.
That the drug mafia is a force to be reckoned with can be gauged from local Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator Dayanand Mandrekar`s speech at an official government function to inaugurate a new police station in Chapora last month.
Mandrekar, also the art and culture minister, had called an Indian Police Service (IPS) officer a "goonda" (crook) for his repeated raids on drug-laced rave parties held in the vicinity of Chapora regularly during the tourist season every year.
With the village economy driven by drugs and the obvious hostility towards sincere policing, Chapora was ideal for Bhatkal to consider as a potential place to lie low and a safe enough haven to rig together bombs for terror strikes, say police officials.
"The NIA, during the search of the house, found bomb-making equipment," Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told a press conference on Wednesday.
The bomb-making equipment was a variety of acids and other materials.
The contraband equipment and his room had been abandoned by Bhatkal, after which his landlord stashed away his belongings and the bomb-making ingredients, NIA officials said.
The Chief Minister too did not rule out the use of Goa and its nooks and crannies like Chapora by criminals for "cooling off" after committing crimes.
"We have noticed that many wanted people from other parts of the country are staying in Goa during the cool-off period. If anyone is found giving shelter to such criminals, he will be considered as being involved," Parrikar said.
Chapora`s last tryst with fame was that it was used as a location for Bollywood film "Dum Maaro Dum", Rahul Sippy`s treatise on the narcotics industry in Goa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared