Why didn`t Advani bring back black money? Sonia
Panaji: Questioning Bharatiya Janata Party leader LK Advani`s credentials as an anti-corruption crusader, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi Saturday asked why he had taken no steps to bring back black money stashed in banks abroad when he was the deputy prime minister.
"So what was the deputy prime minister doing then? Home minister and deputy prime minister, both posts were with him then. So what was he doing about bringing black money back and about corruption all those long years?" Gandhi said in a direct attack on Advani who held the two posts in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) regime.
Advani had done nothing to curb corruption in the "scam ridden government" of which the BJP leader was a part, Gandhi said at a rally here ahead of the March 3 elections to the state legislative assembly.
The Congress chief said her party-led government was trying to bring back black money and rid the country of corruption in a systematic manner.
"Of course, we must do everything in our power to bring back black money which is stashed abroad and to rid our system of corruption. But that is precisely what the Congress-led government is doing methodically, doing with sincerity and in earnest," she said.
Gandhi also said that instead of pointing fingers at the Congress, it would do them (the BJP) well to look at their own scam ridden government, and singled out corruption in the BJP`s government in Karnataka as an example.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj