Why privilege move against lawyer, court asks Goa Assembly
Panaji: A Goa court has asked the state Assembly`s secretary to explain how the legislature`s privileges are breached by filing of an FIR against the Speaker for his alleged disproportionate assets.
A special anti-corruption court judge issued notice to Goa`s Assembly secretary Wednesday, seeking his response to the privilege notice the assembly issued against a lawyer activist last week.
The notice was issued by Judge Nutan Sardessai, who is hearing a contempt petition filed by activist Aires Rodrigues.
The state legislative Assembly initiated a breach of privilege motion against Rodrigues after he filed a first information report (FIR) against Speaker Rajendra Arlekar, accusing Arlekar of possessing assets disproportionate to his known income.
The Assembly secretary has been asked to explain the rationale behind the privilege motion which has been moved against Rodrigues, and submit his resposne to the Court before March 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS