Why privilege move against lawyer, court asks Goa Assembly
Panaji: A Goa court has asked the state Assembly`s secretary to explain how the legislature`s privileges are breached by filing of an FIR against the Speaker for his alleged disproportionate assets.
A special anti-corruption court judge issued notice to Goa`s Assembly secretary Wednesday, seeking his response to the privilege notice the assembly issued against a lawyer activist last week.
The notice was issued by Judge Nutan Sardessai, who is hearing a contempt petition filed by activist Aires Rodrigues.
The state legislative Assembly initiated a breach of privilege motion against Rodrigues after he filed a first information report (FIR) against Speaker Rajendra Arlekar, accusing Arlekar of possessing assets disproportionate to his known income.
The Assembly secretary has been asked to explain the rationale behind the privilege motion which has been moved against Rodrigues, and submit his resposne to the Court before March 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Oh no! After Saina Nehwal, Parupalli Kashyap leaves Pullela Gopichand's academy in Hyderabad
- Samsung, Tencent surge in race to become Asia's most valuable firm
- Kangana Ranaut turns GORGEOUS showstopper for Tarun Tahiliani at Lakme Fashion Week—Pics inside!
- This Russian cat adopts baby monkey after his mother abandons him – Watch inspirational video!
- Centre must explain Scorpene submarines leak, says Congress