Will fight graft in Goa`s mining sector, says Anna
Panaji: Fighting graft in Goa`s mining sector would be one of the major thrust areas in the fight against corruption, Anna Hazare said Monday.
Hazare, who is in Goa to address a public rally, also told reporters here that the mining sector accounted for a huge chunk of black money being generated in the country.
"Corruption in India`s mining sector is huge and needs to be handled properly. It accounts for a big portion of the black money system in India," Hazare said.
The Supreme Court has banned mining in Goa after irregularities to the tune of Rs.35,000 crore were detected by an inquiry commission headed by Justice MB Shah, a retired apex court judge.
"I know you have gone through hardships. I know how difficult it has been to fight the corrupt and oppressive mining lobby. That is why I will make the fight against it one of my thrust areas in my campaign against corruption," Hazare said.
The activist also said that mining cannot be carried out at the cost of environment and nature.
"We simply cannot afford to ignore the nature anymore. If destruction of nature continues at rapid pace, we too will be destroyed soon," Hazare said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail