Will fight graft in Goa`s mining sector, says Anna
Panaji: Fighting graft in Goa`s mining sector would be one of the major thrust areas in the fight against corruption, Anna Hazare said Monday.
Hazare, who is in Goa to address a public rally, also told reporters here that the mining sector accounted for a huge chunk of black money being generated in the country.
"Corruption in India`s mining sector is huge and needs to be handled properly. It accounts for a big portion of the black money system in India," Hazare said.
The Supreme Court has banned mining in Goa after irregularities to the tune of Rs.35,000 crore were detected by an inquiry commission headed by Justice MB Shah, a retired apex court judge.
"I know you have gone through hardships. I know how difficult it has been to fight the corrupt and oppressive mining lobby. That is why I will make the fight against it one of my thrust areas in my campaign against corruption," Hazare said.
The activist also said that mining cannot be carried out at the cost of environment and nature.
"We simply cannot afford to ignore the nature anymore. If destruction of nature continues at rapid pace, we too will be destroyed soon," Hazare said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31