Will fight graft in Goa`s mining sector, says Anna
Panaji: Fighting graft in Goa`s mining sector would be one of the major thrust areas in the fight against corruption, Anna Hazare said Monday.
Hazare, who is in Goa to address a public rally, also told reporters here that the mining sector accounted for a huge chunk of black money being generated in the country.
"Corruption in India`s mining sector is huge and needs to be handled properly. It accounts for a big portion of the black money system in India," Hazare said.
The Supreme Court has banned mining in Goa after irregularities to the tune of Rs.35,000 crore were detected by an inquiry commission headed by Justice MB Shah, a retired apex court judge.
"I know you have gone through hardships. I know how difficult it has been to fight the corrupt and oppressive mining lobby. That is why I will make the fight against it one of my thrust areas in my campaign against corruption," Hazare said.
The activist also said that mining cannot be carried out at the cost of environment and nature.
"We simply cannot afford to ignore the nature anymore. If destruction of nature continues at rapid pace, we too will be destroyed soon," Hazare said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered