Will shut down illegal casinos in Panaji: Parrikar
Panaji: The BJP-supported panel which is
contesting elections for Corporation of City of Panaji (CCP),
has promised to shut down illegal casinos if voted to power.
Leader of Opposition and BJP Leader Manohar Parrikar told
reporters on Saturday that there would be a total ban on illegal
casino operations within city limits, if the panel gained
CCP elections are slated for March 13. The BJP-supported
`Panaji First? panel will face off with the ruling panel
backed by state Education Minister Atanasio Monserratte
Mandovi River, which flows across the city, is a home to
six off-shore casinos, which allegedly do not have proper
The BJP-backed panel today unveiled its manifesto.
"CCP polls are important for the state to judge the mood
of the people," Parrikar said responding to a question.
He said the capital city, which has been turned into a
"filthy bin", would be restored to its past glory by the
"There has been utter mismanagement in last five years.
We have given a clean panel with young faces," he claimed.
Ashok Naik, the BJP-backed panel`s mayoral candidate, too
was present on this occasion.
Parrikar also alleged that the corporators of the rival
group were using money to lure voters.
"A few corporators are investing their money so that they
can gain once they get elected. Our investment is our
efforts," the former chief minister said.
Panaji First has also assured to solve the traffic woes,
and work for bringing in a mass rapid transport system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra