Will shut down illegal casinos in Panaji: Parrikar
Panaji: The BJP-supported panel which is
contesting elections for Corporation of City of Panaji (CCP),
has promised to shut down illegal casinos if voted to power.
Leader of Opposition and BJP Leader Manohar Parrikar told
reporters on Saturday that there would be a total ban on illegal
casino operations within city limits, if the panel gained
CCP elections are slated for March 13. The BJP-supported
`Panaji First? panel will face off with the ruling panel
backed by state Education Minister Atanasio Monserratte
Mandovi River, which flows across the city, is a home to
six off-shore casinos, which allegedly do not have proper
The BJP-backed panel today unveiled its manifesto.
"CCP polls are important for the state to judge the mood
of the people," Parrikar said responding to a question.
He said the capital city, which has been turned into a
"filthy bin", would be restored to its past glory by the
"There has been utter mismanagement in last five years.
We have given a clean panel with young faces," he claimed.
Ashok Naik, the BJP-backed panel`s mayoral candidate, too
was present on this occasion.
Parrikar also alleged that the corporators of the rival
group were using money to lure voters.
"A few corporators are investing their money so that they
can gain once they get elected. Our investment is our
efforts," the former chief minister said.
Panaji First has also assured to solve the traffic woes,
and work for bringing in a mass rapid transport system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez