Won`t allow Sri Ram Sene to work in Goa: Manohar Parrikar
Panaji: In a shift from Goa government`s earlier stand, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Tuesday said he would not allow the controversial right wing outfit Sri Ram Sene to work in the state.
"Sri Ram Sene is not there in Goa. It is functioning in Karnataka. SRS chief Pramod Muthalik stays at Hubli. There is Congress government in Karnataka, what stops them (Karnataka government) from banning them (SRS)?" Parrikar told the state Legislative Assembly during the Question Hour today.
"SRS will not be allowed to work in Goa. If he (Muthalik) starts his activities, we will take action against him," he said.
BJP`s Goa spokesman Wilfred Mesquita had earlier ruled out the possibility of the state government banning SRS in the state, claiming that Indian Constitution does not stop anyone from conducting lawful activities anywhere in the country.
"We will not ban Sri Ram Sene from entering the state. We can`t ban it unless, the organisation is found to be involved in activities against the law," Mesquita had said.
Parrikar had earlier said that the state government will not tolerate, if the SRS tries to create law and order problem in Goa.
The issue was raised today on the floor of the House by Independent legislator Vijay Sardesai who expressed concerns about threat to drama director Tousif de Navelim allegedly by SRS supporters over his new play.
Parrikar accused media of instigating the arguments between SRS and the director.
"Tousif should put off his mobile and change his SIM card. He will stop getting threat calls," he said, adding that even drama writers should take precautions while penning the plays.
Tousif had presented his play here on August 9 amid tight police security, after initially cancelling it following threats of disruption by SRS.
The outfit activists had allegedly attacked young men and women at a Mangalore pub in 2009 that had sparked a national outrage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP