11,000 shifted in Bharuch district due to release of Narmada water
Ahmedabad: Over 11,000 people belonging to 30 villages in Bharuch district and parts of the low-lying areas in south Gujarat town were shifted to safer places following the release of water from Narmada dam as heavy rains in Madhya Pradesh and adjoining areas have increased the water level.
"In all, more than 11,000 people have been shifted to safer places and their food, water and medical facilities have been arranged for," Bharuch collector Avantika Singh said.
Meanwhile, a man being shifted in a private boat as part of the relief and rescue operations was electrocuted when he came in contact with a live wire.
"People from 30 villages of Bharuch district and parts of low-lying areas of Bharuch old city have been relocated to nine camps," she said.
The collector informed that water level at Golden Bridge on river Narmada, which connects Bharuch to industrial town of Ankleshwar, has receded to 35.40 feet from 35.75 feet in the last six hours. Golden Bridge`s danger level is 24 feet.
"Water level is receding but very slowly. The approach road leading to Golden Bridge has been closed down as it gets submerged. As a result, vehicular traffic has been shut down on Golden Bridge," Singh said.
The diversion of traffic to Sardar Bridge on national highway No 8 caused snarls.
"...An alert has been sounded. Commercial establishments in low-lying areas have been closed. Two teams of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), one from Ahmedabad and the other from Surat, are in the district to tackle any untoward situation," she said.
In neighbouring Narmada district, close to 1,500 people have been moved to safer places from Sisodara, Vasan and Rengan villages, district collector Rakesh Shankar said.
He further said that 400-450 animals have also been shifted to safer places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley