12,437 SIM cards seized in Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad: In a major breakthrough, the Crime Branch team of Gujarat Police on Wednesday recovered a huge cache of as many as 12,437 SIM cards from three vendors who allegedly used to sell them on fake documents.
"We raided the premises of SIM card vendors in the areas of Vatva and Isanpur, where we found that three vendors were in possession of unusual quantity of SIM cards. On further inquiry we found that they were selling the SIM cards on fake documents," said police inspector R R Sarvaiya.
"This is perhaps the biggest ever seize of SIM cards in the country," he claimed.
"It came to our notice that some persons are using the sim cards, acquired through fake documents, for illegal purposes," Sarvaiya said.
Police have arrested Ramesh Bathia, Bahvin Soni and Sumit Patel, all residents of Ahmedabad, and the seizure, comprising the SIM cards and some electronic equipment, is estimated to worth Rs 1.80 lakh.
"We have seized SIM cards of almost all the mobile service providers operational in Gujarat besides a computer and a printer that were used to make fake documents from the trio," Sarvaiya said.
Investigations are on to find out from where the arrested accused had procured such a huge quantity of SIM cards, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured