2 killed, 35 injured in Idgah wall collapse
Mehsana (Guj): Two persons, including an eight-year-boy, were killed and more than 35 injured when a compound wall of an Idgah collapsed on them after they had offered prayers on the occasion of Eid here on Tuesday.
The mishap took place when more than 2,000 people had gathered at the Madhpara-based Idgah (not a mosque) to offer Eid `namaz`.
"We learnt from the locals that a 20-feet-long portion of the compound wall of Idgah premises fell on more than 50 persons, who had come out after offering namaz. When they were standing near the wall to collect their footwear, the wall suddenly collapsed on them," said police inspector BN Jadav of Mehsana `B` division.
An 8-year-old boy and a 62-year-old man died in the mishap. More than 35 people were rushed to hospital, he said.
Local police along with other officials rushed to the spot and started rescue operations. A JCB machine and tractors were pressed into service after which victims were pulled out of the debris and rushed to nearby hospitals.
Mehsana Collector Lochan Sehra too rushed to the spot and supervised the rescue operation.
"The structure of Idgah, including the 8-feet-high compound wall is almost 35 years old.
Recently, the management raised the ground level of Idgah`s prayer area by filling up the ground with clay near the wall. This may have put pressure on the old wall," said Sehra.
"Today morning, when some of the children, who came to offer prayers, were sitting on the wall, it collapsed outside on others who had just come out. Our administration quickly swung into action and started rescue operation. We are now demolishing remaining part of the old wall and the gate structure, as they have also weakened," the Collector said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read