2002 post-Godhra riot: 69 accused move Gujarat HC for transfer of case
Ahmedabad: 69 accused in the 2002 post-Godhra riot case of Naroda Gaam have moved Gujarat High Court seeking transfer of their case from the court of designated judge Jyotsna Yagnik alleging that she was biased against them.
"The way designated judge Jyotsna Yagnik conducts the hearing of this case clearly shows her biased and discriminatory approach towards accused. Hence, 69 accused have filed petition to transfer this case to some other judge," accused Hardik Patel`s advocate said while giving details of the petition, filed earlier this week.
The petition is likely to come up for hearing tomorrow.
On February 28, 2002, in the aftermath of Godhra train burning incident, a violent mob had killed 11 people of the minority community in Naroda Gaam area of the city. The trial in the case has been on against 79 accused, including former state minister Maya Kodnani, Babu Bajrangi and VHP leader Jaideep Patel, who have not joined this petition.
Earlier this year, the Gujarat High Court had rejected a petition filed by former state minister and convict in Naroda Patiya massacre case Maya Kodnanai, Bajrangi and Kishen Korani, who had sought similar relief on different grounds.
Kodnani, Babu Bajrangi and Kishen Korani were convicted and sentenced to life in Naroda Patiya case by Jyotsna Yagnik in August last year.
In their separate petitions, they had expressed apprehensions that they would be deprived of fair and impartial trial if the same judge, who had pronounced them guilty in Naroda Patiya case, would conduct the trial in Naroda Gaam case.
However, Justice KM Thakar, while rejecting their petition, held that the court found no ground or reasons which could form the basis for considering the removal of the designated judge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof