2002 post-Godhra riots: SIT terms Zakia Jafri`s petition `instigating`
Ahmedabad: Supreme Court-appointed SIT on Monday termed as "instigating" the petition filed by Zakia Jafri, opposing the closure report filed by SIT giving clean chit to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and alleged that it could again create communal disturbances in the state.
SIT made this submission before Metropolitan Magistrate BJ Ganatra who was hearing the `protest` petition filed by Jafri opposing the closure report filed by SIT giving clean chit to Modi and others for their role in the 2002 post-Godhra riots.
"If the protest petition is reproduced exactly as it has been filed in two volumes, I have apprehension that it may again create disturbances in the state...It is so biased and instigating," SIT lawyer RS Jamuar said opposing Zakia`s plea.
"I would also advice media not to publicise the content of this petition," he observed.
He also argued that, "three fourth of this petition has concentrated on Godhra incidence of February 27, Karsevaks in Ayodhya prior to that, post mortem of dead bodies in Godhra, procession to bring those bodies to Ahmedabad and affidavits of retired IPS officer RB Sreekumar before Godhra Panel."
"...If these portions are taken out, then there is nothing in this petition but its a case of Gulbarg society massacre for which separate trial is going on," Jamuar said.
"This is not a protest petition of Zakia Jafri, a complainant, but its of Teesta Setalvad, who has only one point agenda and that is to make Modi an accused," he alleged.
Jafri, whose husband and former Congress MP Ehsan Jafri was killed during 2002 Gulbarg society riots, had filed on April 15 a petition before the Magistrate in protest against the SIT report giving clean chit to Modi and others and sought the filing of charge sheet against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi