2002 post-Godhra riots: SIT wants capital punishment for Maya Kodnani
Zee Media Bureau
Ahmedabad: The Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) wants capital punishment for former Gujarat minister Maya Kodnani, Babu Bajrangi and 28 others, as per reports. All of them have been convicted of the Naroda Patiya massacre during the 2002 riots in the state.
A SIT official was quoted as saying in a leading daily that after looking at the complicity of the accused and the special judge`s observation that the case is `rarest of the rare`, they would want capital punishment for Kodnani.
The SIT also wants the apex court to intervene in the matter.
The Gujarat government had sought capital punishment for the ex-minister before the High Court earlier but later on backtracked after there were protests from the Sangh Parivar.
Kodnani was sentenced to 28 years in prison on August 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon