2002 post-Godhra riots: SIT wants capital punishment for Maya Kodnani
Zee Media Bureau
Ahmedabad: The Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) wants capital punishment for former Gujarat minister Maya Kodnani, Babu Bajrangi and 28 others, as per reports. All of them have been convicted of the Naroda Patiya massacre during the 2002 riots in the state.
A SIT official was quoted as saying in a leading daily that after looking at the complicity of the accused and the special judge`s observation that the case is `rarest of the rare`, they would want capital punishment for Kodnani.
The SIT also wants the apex court to intervene in the matter.
The Gujarat government had sought capital punishment for the ex-minister before the High Court earlier but later on backtracked after there were protests from the Sangh Parivar.
Kodnani was sentenced to 28 years in prison on August 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan