2002 post-Godhra riots: SIT wants capital punishment for Maya Kodnani
Zee Media Bureau
Ahmedabad: The Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) wants capital punishment for former Gujarat minister Maya Kodnani, Babu Bajrangi and 28 others, as per reports. All of them have been convicted of the Naroda Patiya massacre during the 2002 riots in the state.
A SIT official was quoted as saying in a leading daily that after looking at the complicity of the accused and the special judge`s observation that the case is `rarest of the rare`, they would want capital punishment for Kodnani.
The SIT also wants the apex court to intervene in the matter.
The Gujarat government had sought capital punishment for the ex-minister before the High Court earlier but later on backtracked after there were protests from the Sangh Parivar.
Kodnani was sentenced to 28 years in prison on August 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Brexit a danger to US financial stability: Treasury
- Pak group uses ‘pellet-hit’ images of PM Modi, Amitabh Bachchan for Kashmir issue
- 19 killed in knife rampage at Japan care home; suspect surrenders
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015
- FBI probes Democratic email hack, but is Russia to blame?