2012 Guj elections firing case: BJP MLA moves HC for bail
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court on Tuesday issued notice to state government on the bail application of BJP MLA Jetha Bharwad, charged with attempt to murder, for his alleged involvement in a firing incident during polling in the 2012 Assembly elections.
Four persons had been injured on December 17 last year during the second phase of polling, when Bharwad`s bodyguard allegedly opened fire in Tarsang village.
Bharwad was the party candidate from Sahera in Panchmahal district.
Issuing the notice, Justice Anant Dave asked the state government to file its reply by February 4, when the next hearing is scheduled.
A sessions court in Godhra had on January 8 rejected the bail application of Bharwad, currently lodged in jail there.
Principal Sessions Judge D T Soni, while rejecting Bharwad`s bail application, had held that "prima facie a case against the accused has been made out and looking at the conduct of the accused he is not allowed to be released on bail."
In his petition in the high court, the MLA contended that entire case against him was "imaginary and the fallout of political rivalry".
"He (Bharwad) was not at all involved in the offences which were registered against him in the FIR. The facts of the incident are totally opposite to what has been claimed in the FIR," senior counsel Prakash M Thakkar representing Bharwad told the high court.
Bharwad was injured in the alleged stone pelting on December 17 and admitted in a private hospital in Godhra.
He, along with his bodyguard and five others, was booked for attempt to murder on December 18. Bharwad was detained while undergoing treatment for head injuries.
Bharwad had escaped from Apollo Hospital in Ahmedabad
where he was brought for undergoing a CT scan procedure.
He was later apprehended after the Godhra court rejected his anticipatory bail plea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Five killed as house collapses in Andhra Pradesh
- Here’s why Lord Shiva is also known as Neelkantha
- Ravichandran Ashwin replaces Yashir Shah at the top of ICC bowler rankings
- Hubble peers into the core of a starburst galaxy – See pic!
- JuD medical team wants to visit Kashmir to treat injured, applies for Indian visa