21 killed in mishap in Vadodara
Ahmedabad: Twenty-one people, including 11
women were killed, while over 20 others were injured in a
head-on collision between a speeding truck and a tractor in
Panchmahal district here on Friday.
The incident occurred near Veganpur village of Godhra
taluka after midnight when a tractor trolley carrying devotees
returning from a religious function, was hit by a truck with a
Madhya Pradesh state registration, coming from the opposite
direction, police said.
While 18 people died on the spot after being crushed
under the trolley, one person died at the Godhra civil
hospital and two others succumbed to their injuries at the SSG
Hospital in Vadodara.
Over 20 persons injured in the incident are undergoing
treatment at Godhra civil hospital and SSG hospital in
Vadodara city, police said, adding all the bodies have been
sent for post-mortem at the Godhra civil hospital.
The victims were returning to their native village
Malukatu in Godhra after visiting a nearby temple when the
mishap occurred, police said.
A case has been registered against the driver of the
truck who is absconding, they said.
The Gujarat government has announced a compensation of Rs
one lakh for the family of those killed in the mishap,
officials in the Chief Minister`s office said.
Upto Rs 50,000 would be give to those who were injured
and were treated at private hospitals, they said, adding that
for those admitted to government hospitals treatment would be
free of charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?