23 hours on, 3-year-old girl stuck in borewell loses battle
Bhavnagar: A three-year-old girl who had fallen into an abandoned borewell at Vadod village in Bhavnagar district of Gujarat died on Tuesday despite a relentless 23-hour rescue operation even as the child slipped deeper into the soil.
"The girl is dead now. Our rescue teams have tried hard to save her but as the debris of stones and soil have piled upon her she could not be saved," Bhavnagar district Collector PK Solanki told PTI.
The girl Kalpana Koli, whose parents are casual labourers, fell into around 600-ft deep borewell on a farmland at around 4 PM yesterday.
Initially she was stuck at the depth of 28 feet, but during the rescue operation she slipped further at 35 feet, making it difficult for the rescuers to reach her as crucial time passed by.
"At last, the rescue teams were only able to see Kalpana`s hands and tried to pull her out, but as there was a possibility that her hands may get severed her father stopped us from carrying out any further rescue operation," he said.
Solanki said on the request of child`s father Dilip Koli, she was cremated inside the borewell itself.
When asked if the authorities will initiate any inquiry to fix the negligence on part of anybody, Solanki said a probe will be ordered soon.
"We will make sure to inquire into this matter. An FIR will be filed and we will fix the persons who are responsible for the borewell tragedy," Solanki said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre