238 VIPs, 163 victims & witnesses of 2002 riots given security: Guj to SC
New Delhi: Gujarat government Thursday told the Supreme Court that it provides police protection to 238 VIPs and 163 victims and witnesses of 2002 riots in the state and the cost bone by it in providing security to them worked out to Rs 30 crore in a year.
In an affidavit filed before the apex court, the state government provided the list of all the VIPs who are given police protection. The maximum Z+ security in the state is given only to Chief Minister Narendra Modi and International Working President of VHP Pravin Togadia.
"It is stated that a total 67 persons have been provided personal security under the category X, Y, Z, Z+ and 172 persons have been provided personal security under another category. In addition, 163 victims and witnesses of 2002 riots in the state have also been provided personal security," the affidavit said.
"It is stated that the approximate cost borne by the state government during the period from February 1, 2012 to January 31, 2013 works out to the tune of Rs 30,71,88,000," the affidavit said.
The affidavit was filed in response to the apex court`s order directing the Centre and all states to furnish names of the people given security and the expenditure borne by states on it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues