238 VIPs, 163 victims & witnesses of 2002 riots given security: Guj to SC
New Delhi: Gujarat government Thursday told the Supreme Court that it provides police protection to 238 VIPs and 163 victims and witnesses of 2002 riots in the state and the cost bone by it in providing security to them worked out to Rs 30 crore in a year.
In an affidavit filed before the apex court, the state government provided the list of all the VIPs who are given police protection. The maximum Z+ security in the state is given only to Chief Minister Narendra Modi and International Working President of VHP Pravin Togadia.
"It is stated that a total 67 persons have been provided personal security under the category X, Y, Z, Z+ and 172 persons have been provided personal security under another category. In addition, 163 victims and witnesses of 2002 riots in the state have also been provided personal security," the affidavit said.
"It is stated that the approximate cost borne by the state government during the period from February 1, 2012 to January 31, 2013 works out to the tune of Rs 30,71,88,000," the affidavit said.
The affidavit was filed in response to the apex court`s order directing the Centre and all states to furnish names of the people given security and the expenditure borne by states on it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Flirt with the waves a la Lisa Haydon – Watch video