27 villages on alert after Narmada crosses danger mark
Ahmedabad: Around 27 villages of Gujarat`s Narmada and Bharuch districts have been put on alert after water from the overflowing Narmada dam resulted in perennial river breaching the danger mark at Golden bridge.
Although the flow of water from upstream Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra has reduced, the dam is still overflowing at 127.95 metre, nearly six metre above its height of 121.90 metre, officials said.
The Narmada district administration has set up an Emergency Response Centre (ERC) and real-time data is being collected to maintain vigil over the water levels in Narmada river.
Alert has been sounded since yesterday late night in 27 villages, including 12 in Nandod taluka and nine in Tilakwada of Narmada district
Most of the villagers have been evacuated to safer places.
River is flowing almost four feet above the danger mark at Golden Bridge in Bharuch, disrupting the traffic movement, officials said, adding that they have alerted the villages in Bharuch, Ankleshwar and Jhagadia areas, where Narmada river is flowing in fury.
According to officials, at noon today around 7,86,000 cusecs of water was being discharged from the dam, of which 7,09,448 cusecs will fall directly into sea, while remaining 76,552 cusecs will flow to six river bed turbines for power generation.
Narmada being a perennial river, harnessing of its water by building a huge dam and distributing it to through canal network for drinking and irrigation purposes is a lifeline project of the state, where water scarcity due to deficient rains is a norm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- IIT-Guwahati student develops a mobile app to monitor indoor air quality
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list