3 labourers killed, 6 injured in Surat flyover collapse
Surat: Three labourers were killed today and six others injured when a portion of an under-construction flyover collapsed in Parle point area of the city, a senior official said.
"Three labourers died when a part of an under construction fly-over collapsed in Surat`s Parle point area this morning," Surat Municipal Corporation (SMC) Commissioner M K Das said.
There may be some persons trapped in the debris, but authorities are uncertain about their number, he said.
The mishap occurred this morning when the labourers were shifting the columns of the bridge during which a portion of the flyover fell on them, he said.
The collapsed flyover was a part of the city`s cable-wire bridge connecting Parle point area to Adajan near Tapi river, Das said.
The SMC has formed a committee to inquire into the collapse and an FIR has been ordered.
"We have ordered to file an FIR in this tragedy, while an expert committee has also been formed to inquire into the issue," Das said.
"We have announced Rs two lakh ex-gratia for the families of the persons who lost their lives, Rs one lakh for those who sustained permanent disability in this incident and Rs 50,000 for the others injured has also been announced," Das said further.
The `Adajan-Parle point linking` flyover was being constructed for last two years.
The deceased were yet to be identified, said Dr R D Burman, the medical officer of casualty ward of Surat civil hospital.
"One labourer died on the spot, while two others died during treatment. None of them are identified yet," he said.
Six labourers, who sustained critical injuries, have been admitted in Surat Civil hospital, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla