3 labourers killed, 6 injured in Surat flyover collapse
Surat: Three labourers were killed today and six others injured when a portion of an under-construction flyover collapsed in Parle point area of the city, a senior official said.
"Three labourers died when a part of an under construction fly-over collapsed in Surat`s Parle point area this morning," Surat Municipal Corporation (SMC) Commissioner M K Das said.
There may be some persons trapped in the debris, but authorities are uncertain about their number, he said.
The mishap occurred this morning when the labourers were shifting the columns of the bridge during which a portion of the flyover fell on them, he said.
The collapsed flyover was a part of the city`s cable-wire bridge connecting Parle point area to Adajan near Tapi river, Das said.
The SMC has formed a committee to inquire into the collapse and an FIR has been ordered.
"We have ordered to file an FIR in this tragedy, while an expert committee has also been formed to inquire into the issue," Das said.
"We have announced Rs two lakh ex-gratia for the families of the persons who lost their lives, Rs one lakh for those who sustained permanent disability in this incident and Rs 50,000 for the others injured has also been announced," Das said further.
The `Adajan-Parle point linking` flyover was being constructed for last two years.
The deceased were yet to be identified, said Dr R D Burman, the medical officer of casualty ward of Surat civil hospital.
"One labourer died on the spot, while two others died during treatment. None of them are identified yet," he said.
Six labourers, who sustained critical injuries, have been admitted in Surat Civil hospital, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations