5.1 magnitude earthquake jolts Gujarat
Ahmedabad: An earthquake measuring 5.1 on the Ritcher Scale rattled most parts of Gujarat in the wee hours of Wednesday. No reports of loss of life or damage to property have been reported.
As per the Indian Metrological Department’s Seismology Centre, the moderate earthquake struck at 01.44.02 am with its epicenter at 26 km South-East of Dholavira in Kutch district.
The tremors were felt across various parts of Gujarat including Bhuj, Rapar, Bhavnagar, Jamnagar and Ahmedabad other cities too.
"Earlier a mild quake came. Then occurred the bigger jolt measuring 5 on Richter scale and it had the depth of 80 kms," Institute of Seismological Research Director General B K Rastogi said.
"There were 27 aftershocks registered, in the magnitude of 1 to 3 on the Richter scale, and majority of them were in Kutch and Saurashtra region. But there are no reports of damage to property or the life," he said.
"In Ahmedabad also some people felt minor tremors but we have not received any panic calls," said Chief Fire Officer M F Dastur.
Residents of Kutch region, which was devastated by a quake in 2001, rushed out of their homes in panic.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media