62 per cent voting in Kathlal by-elections
Kathlal: The elections for the
Kathlal assembly constituency in Gujarat ended peacefully with
over 62 per cent voters casting their votes, District Election
Voting at all the 208 polling stations, including 16
sensitive ones, was peaceful following tight security
arrangements made by the district administration. There were
over 1.65 lakh voters in the constituency.
Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs)at couple of polling
stations had to be replaced as they malfunctioned, officials
The by-elections were necessitated due to death of
Congress MLA Gautam Zala.
The contest for the Kathlal seat has became
competitive with Zala`s son Bharatsinh entering the fray as an
independent candidate after being denied a ticket by the
The BJP fielded Kanu Dabhi against Congress`s
In all, there were seven candidates contesting for the
seat which including five independents.
The counting of votes will take place on September 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends