74 percent MLAs in new Gujarat Assembly are `crore-pati`
Ahmedabad: Of the 99 legislators who were re-elected to the Gujarat Assembly, 42 `crore-pati` MLAs have declared a Rs 2 crore-plus increase in assets since 2007.
A report by National Election Watch (NEW) says that around 74 per cent or 134 of 182 MLAs in the newly-elected Assembly have assets of Rs one crore or more. In 2007, only 31 percent MLAs were `crore-pati`.
The information was gleaned by NEW from the affidavits accompanying the nomination papers.
The average increase in the assets of 65 re-elected BJP MLAs in the last five years was around 177 per cent. The party MLAs` average assets increased by over Rs 4.66 crore: from over Rs 2.62 crore in 2007 to over Rs 7.28 crore in 2012.
In the case of 33 re-elected Congress MLAs, average increase in the assets was 412 per cent. Overall, Congress MLAs` average assets increased by around Rs 5.94 crore: from over Rs 1.44 crore in 2007 to over Rs 7.39 crore in 2012.
Javahar Chavada of Congress, who won from Manavadar, reported a 352 per cent increase in assets at Rs 82,90,21,906, in 2012 from Rs 18,32,36,060 in 2007, an increase of around Rs 64 crore, highest amongst those re-elected.
He is followed by BJP`s Dinesh Patel, who won from Padra seat. His assets shot up by Rs 34 crore in 2012 at Rs 39,41,42,438, from Rs 4,51,83,763 in 2007.
For the re-elected MLAs, average increase in assets was Rs 5.06 crore. BJP`s Jayanti Kavadia declared the highest rise of 5,525 per cent at Rs 5.91 crore from Rs 10.50 lakh between the elections.
Out of the 115 BJP MLAs, 86, or 75 per cent, are `crorepatis`. Of 61 Congress MLAs, 43, or 73 per cent, are crorepatis.
An average Congress MLA is richer (Rs 12.36 crore) than his BJP counterpart (Rs 5.82 crore).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams