75 per cent voting in Gujarat municipal polls
Ahmedabad: Average 75 per cent turnout has been registered in elections held for 74 Nagar Palikas in Gujarat on Sunday.
"As per the initial information, average 75 per cent voting has been registered for 1,852 seats in 74 Nagar Palikas that went to poll today," Incharge State Election Commissioner PS Shah said.
Counting will be held on February 12.
Election Commission had last month issued the notification for election to 77 municipalities, whose term was to end this month.
However, as Halvad, Kutiyana Nagar and Junagad municipalities were elected unopposed, polling for 74 Nagar Palikas was held across the state.
"Polling has been concluded in a very peaceful manner and no untoward incident has been reported", Shah said, adding around 75 per cent of total 19.29 lakh voters exercised their franchise in today`s elections.
He said that exact percentage and other details would be known only tomorrow after the receipt of full data from every district.
Meanwhile, a candidate for ward number 9 at Prantij municipality in Himatnagar died today of heart attack, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Islamic State bombings in southern Yemen kill 38
- UK pensions minister Crabb considering bid to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- Special panel on India's NSG membership bid? We're not aware, says China
- Ruby Rai, Bihar Class 12 topper now under arrest for cheating, says she never wanted to top the exam
- Euro 2016: Iceland stun England in one of greatest ever shocks