75 per cent voting in Gujarat municipal polls
Ahmedabad: Average 75 per cent turnout has been registered in elections held for 74 Nagar Palikas in Gujarat on Sunday.
"As per the initial information, average 75 per cent voting has been registered for 1,852 seats in 74 Nagar Palikas that went to poll today," Incharge State Election Commissioner PS Shah said.
Counting will be held on February 12.
Election Commission had last month issued the notification for election to 77 municipalities, whose term was to end this month.
However, as Halvad, Kutiyana Nagar and Junagad municipalities were elected unopposed, polling for 74 Nagar Palikas was held across the state.
"Polling has been concluded in a very peaceful manner and no untoward incident has been reported", Shah said, adding around 75 per cent of total 19.29 lakh voters exercised their franchise in today`s elections.
He said that exact percentage and other details would be known only tomorrow after the receipt of full data from every district.
Meanwhile, a candidate for ward number 9 at Prantij municipality in Himatnagar died today of heart attack, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Swiss fighter jet missing, believed crashed: Ministry
- PM Narendra Modi reviews plans to counter strike by trade unions
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir