75 per cent voting in Gujarat municipal polls
Ahmedabad: Average 75 per cent turnout has been registered in elections held for 74 Nagar Palikas in Gujarat on Sunday.
"As per the initial information, average 75 per cent voting has been registered for 1,852 seats in 74 Nagar Palikas that went to poll today," Incharge State Election Commissioner PS Shah said.
Counting will be held on February 12.
Election Commission had last month issued the notification for election to 77 municipalities, whose term was to end this month.
However, as Halvad, Kutiyana Nagar and Junagad municipalities were elected unopposed, polling for 74 Nagar Palikas was held across the state.
"Polling has been concluded in a very peaceful manner and no untoward incident has been reported", Shah said, adding around 75 per cent of total 19.29 lakh voters exercised their franchise in today`s elections.
He said that exact percentage and other details would be known only tomorrow after the receipt of full data from every district.
Meanwhile, a candidate for ward number 9 at Prantij municipality in Himatnagar died today of heart attack, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested