8 convicts in Best bakery case seek transfer to Guj jail
Mumbai: Eight convicts in the Best Bakery
case have requested the Bombay High Court to transfer them
from Kolhapur central jail to Vadodara in Gujarat so that they
stay closer to their families.
All the eight have been lodged in Kolhapur jail since
February 2007 after a special court here convicted them for
burning alive 14 people inside Best Bakery in Hanuman Tekdi
area of Vadodara during the post-Godhra riots.
The Best Bakery case was shifted to Mumbai by the
Supreme Court for fair trial.
The convicts have written a letter to the High Court
which it has converted into a writ petition. The Court would
hear their plea in due course.
The convicts pleaded that since they have been lodged
in Kolhapur prison they have not been able to meet their
"We are far away from our home. Our families are
facing financial difficulties because of which they are not
able to visit us. It becomes time consuming and expensive for
them to visit us in Kolhapur Jail," they contended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest