81 mild tremors in one month: GSDMA asks people to remain alert
Ahmedabad: Gujarat State Disaster
Management Authority (GSDMA) today asked the people to remain
alert but not to panic following a series of tremors in
Porbandar and Jamanagar districts of the state measuring upto
3 on the Richter scale over the last one month.
The region experienced 81 moderate to medium intensity
earthquakes in the last one month, with the epicentre of most
of them being at Lalpur and Bhanwad talukas, an official
An earthquake measuring 3 on the Richter scale was
felt on September 23 in Advana, Bhumiavadar, Sodhana and
Majivana talukas, which was the severest so far, GSDMA said.
Following, the spate of earthquakes, the officials of
Institute of Seismological Research(ISR) toured the two
districts recently and installed a strong motion oscillograph
for finer observations, it stated.
According to ISR, heavy rainfall often results in
aftershocks with the rise in the underground water table.
The geophysicists and hydrologists of the institute
are of the view that the number of tremors have increased as
sub-surface water level has gone up by 30 metres due to heavy
rains this monsoon, the statement said.
The state had faced a similar situation during 2006
and 2007 when the intensity of tremors went upto 3 on the
Richter scale, it stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal