88% police personnel cast vote via postal ballot in Jamnagar
Jamnagar: A total of 653 police personnel cast their vote through postal ballot today at a special camp organised near here, an election official said.
Around 88 per cent voting has been recorded through postal ballot in the two days of the special exercise meant for the police personnel deployed on poll duty in Gujarat as part of an arrangement made by Election Commission, he said.
"Nearly 653 votes were cast through the postal ballot at the end of second day today, where Home Guards, State Reserve Police (SRP) personnel and jawans engaged in poll duty exercised their franchise," Jamnagar District Election Officer N B Upadhayay said.
"Of the 2,373 police personnel enrolled in the district for exercising their constitutional right, 1,471 cast their vote yesterday and 653 today at a camp in Jam Khambaliya, taking the tally to 2,124 votes, which is 88 per cent," he said.
Election will be held in Gujarat in two phases - on December 13 and 17. Counting will take place on December 20.
The EC had made special arrangements for voluntary voting by police personnel at two camps, one at Jamnagar and another at Jam Khambaliya today, around 60km from here.
The Commission had said that all police personnel in the state who are on election duty were entitled to vote through postal ballot.
Seven Assembly constituencies in Jamnagar district will go to polls in on December 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi