900 evacuated in rain-hit Saurashtra region
Rajkot: Nearly 900 people have been
evacuated from the low-lying areas submerged under water due
to torrential rain in Gujarat`s Saurashtra region, officials
said on Wednesday.
Nearly 400 people were given shelter at a Rajkot
Municipal Corporation (RMC)-run school at Randarda area on the
city`s outskirts, district administration officials said.
Two houses collapsed here due to heavy rains, they
said, adding there were no reports of any casualties.
Around 500 people in Gondal town were shifted to safer
places after a rain-swollen Gondaly river submerged some
Heavy rains had been lashing Saurashtra for the last
one week. Khambhaliya town in Jamnagar district has received
350mm rainfall followed by Kutiyana in Porbandar (200mm),
Jasdan in Rajkot (160 mm) and Babara in Amreli (100mm).
As many as 92 dams are overflowing and about 1,000
villages in the region have been alerted, they said.
Bhadar-1 dam, the main source of drinking water in
Rajkot district, is overflowing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city