900 evacuated in rain-hit Saurashtra region
Rajkot: Nearly 900 people have been
evacuated from the low-lying areas submerged under water due
to torrential rain in Gujarat`s Saurashtra region, officials
said on Wednesday.
Nearly 400 people were given shelter at a Rajkot
Municipal Corporation (RMC)-run school at Randarda area on the
city`s outskirts, district administration officials said.
Two houses collapsed here due to heavy rains, they
said, adding there were no reports of any casualties.
Around 500 people in Gondal town were shifted to safer
places after a rain-swollen Gondaly river submerged some
Heavy rains had been lashing Saurashtra for the last
one week. Khambhaliya town in Jamnagar district has received
350mm rainfall followed by Kutiyana in Porbandar (200mm),
Jasdan in Rajkot (160 mm) and Babara in Amreli (100mm).
As many as 92 dams are overflowing and about 1,000
villages in the region have been alerted, they said.
Bhadar-1 dam, the main source of drinking water in
Rajkot district, is overflowing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Peace is a two-way street, remove self-imposed obstacle of terrorism: PM Modi tells Pakistan
- New Zealand plan first day-night Test against England in 2018
- PCB to send Mohammad Hafeez to England for knee-injury treatment
- China says extremely dissatisfied with G7 statement on South China Sea
- Ice age on Mars took place 400,000 years ago, claim scientists