900 evacuated in rain-hit Saurashtra region
Rajkot: Nearly 900 people have been
evacuated from the low-lying areas submerged under water due
to torrential rain in Gujarat`s Saurashtra region, officials
said on Wednesday.
Nearly 400 people were given shelter at a Rajkot
Municipal Corporation (RMC)-run school at Randarda area on the
city`s outskirts, district administration officials said.
Two houses collapsed here due to heavy rains, they
said, adding there were no reports of any casualties.
Around 500 people in Gondal town were shifted to safer
places after a rain-swollen Gondaly river submerged some
Heavy rains had been lashing Saurashtra for the last
one week. Khambhaliya town in Jamnagar district has received
350mm rainfall followed by Kutiyana in Porbandar (200mm),
Jasdan in Rajkot (160 mm) and Babara in Amreli (100mm).
As many as 92 dams are overflowing and about 1,000
villages in the region have been alerted, they said.
Bhadar-1 dam, the main source of drinking water in
Rajkot district, is overflowing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan