900 evacuated in rain-hit Saurashtra region
Rajkot: Nearly 900 people have been
evacuated from the low-lying areas submerged under water due
to torrential rain in Gujarat`s Saurashtra region, officials
said on Wednesday.
Nearly 400 people were given shelter at a Rajkot
Municipal Corporation (RMC)-run school at Randarda area on the
city`s outskirts, district administration officials said.
Two houses collapsed here due to heavy rains, they
said, adding there were no reports of any casualties.
Around 500 people in Gondal town were shifted to safer
places after a rain-swollen Gondaly river submerged some
Heavy rains had been lashing Saurashtra for the last
one week. Khambhaliya town in Jamnagar district has received
350mm rainfall followed by Kutiyana in Porbandar (200mm),
Jasdan in Rajkot (160 mm) and Babara in Amreli (100mm).
As many as 92 dams are overflowing and about 1,000
villages in the region have been alerted, they said.
Bhadar-1 dam, the main source of drinking water in
Rajkot district, is overflowing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!