939 villages scarcity hit in Gujarat, says govt
Gandhinagar: Gujarat government today said that 939 villages of the state were facing water scarcity whereas 2,979 villages were partially affected.
"After the survey of 69 talukas in 10 districts of the state, the government has found that there is a situation of scarcity in 939 villages and other 2,979 villages are facing partial scarcity," state Revenue Minister Anandi Patel said in the Assembly on Tuesday.
However, the Opposition termed the announcement of scarcity-hit villages as "very late one" describing it as a "face saving exercise."
"The government knew that we were to raise the issue of water scarcity today in the House and hence as a face saving exercises, it on the last moment added a supplementary agenda in today`s proceedings and hastily made a statement on it," Leader of Opposition Shankarsinh Vaghela told reporters outside the Assembly.
In the past, whenever a scarcity was declared in any area, the whole taluka was declared scarcity hit, "but surprisingly for the first time this government has declared selected villages of a taluka as scarcity hit areas," Vaghela said.
Patel further informed the House that the government has asked all the Collectors concerned to submit reports on the crop and water situation in their respective districts.
"All Collectors did Anawari survey of the Kharif-1 crops in their areas and submitted reports which were considered in the Cabinet sub-committee meeting held on March 18, 2013," she said.
As per the reports, many villages were facing a
difficult situation because of Kharif crop failure. Those villages which were declared scarcity hit areas would be provided all support from the government, the minister assured the House.
"We have made arrangements of providing not only water to the villages but they will also be provided fodder for cattle, and farmers whose crop has failed will be offered employment under NREGA too," she added.
Suarashtra region was the worst hit among the total of 3,918 villages which were declared scarcity affected today by the state government.
Most of the affected villages were in Rajkot, Jamnagar, Junagadh, Porbandar, Amerli and Bhavnagar districts whereas 165 villages were in Banaskantha and Patan districts in northern Gujarat. 100 villages were declared scarcity affected in Mundra and Lakhpat talukas of Kutch district while 8 villages were in Ahmedabad district.
Earlier, when their demand to suspend the Question Hour to discuss the water scarcity issue was rejected by the Assembly speaker, all Congress MLAs staged a vociferous protest inside the House.
The Speaker then suspended all the protesting members from the House for a day.
Vaghela alleged that "a team of central government, which had earlier visited many areas in the state, has identified 17 districts as scarcity hit and also announced a relief package of Rs 865 crore for it. But the state government has only identified 59 talukas of 10 district. This is gross injustice to the people of remaining seven districts who are reeling under water scarcity."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India