AAP to organise `broom yatra` in Gujarat over corruption issue
Ahmedabad: The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) on Monday said that as part of its 2014 Lok Sabha election campaign, it will launch a "broom yatra" in Gujarat to "expose state government`s corruption".
"The broom yatra will be launched on January 26. During the yatra, we will expose the Gujarat government`s corrupt practices. We aim to clean the political filth in the state," member of AAP national executive committee, Dinesh Vaghela said.
The decision to organise the yatra was taken during AAP`s two-day state executive meet, which ended here yesterday.
Vaghela said that before the results for Assembly polls were declared, there were 5,000 active AAP members.
"However, after the party`s credible performance in Delhi Assembly election where AAP pocketed 28 out of 70 seats, the party`s membership has risen to 17,000.
The party had earlier said that it may contest all the 26 Parliamentary seats in Gujarat, though the final decision regarding this would be taken by the national executive committee in Delhi.
When asked about the rift between AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal and anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare over the Lokpal Bill issue, Vaghela said, "Anna is being misled by agents of BJP and Congress, who want a diluted Lokpal Bill to be passed."
He alleged that both BJP and Congress are hand-in-glove in looting the country, which is in a dire need of a political alternative.
"The country requires a political alternative to the Congress and the BJP. The AAP is people`s party and it is for the people to decide which party they want to be in power," he said.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- IPL 2016: Rising Pune Supergiants fail yet again as Gujarat Lions continue strong run in maiden season
- AgustaWestland deal: Centre rejects charge that PM Modi struck deal with Italy
- Man wanted in 14 cases arrested after gun-battle in Odisha, 2 injured
- Pakistan playing to gallery in publicising Kashmir issue: Ex-envoy SK Lambah
- Nagaland HSLC (Class 10) and HSSLC (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared on May 3