ACB submits Gujarat fisheries scam probe report to court
Ahmedabad: The Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) completed its inquiry into the Rs 400-crore fisheries scam, which allegedly involved former Gujarat fisheries minister Purushottam Solanki and submitted the report to the special ACB court in Gandhinagar, sources said.
The report was submitted last Saturday in the special ACB court of Judge B M Vyas.
"As per directions given by the court earlier, the ACB has finished its inquiry into the case and submitted its report in a sealed cover. Thus, I cannot reveal much about the contents of the report," Mehsana ACB`s Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) PJ Chaudhari, who conducted the inquiry and submitted the report to the court, said.
The case dates back to 2008, when Solanki was Gujarat fisheries minister and alloted fishing contracts in more than 40 dams in the state.
At that time, a Palanpur-based businessman called Ishaq Maradia had knocked at the doors of the Gujarat High Court and alleged that Sonalki flouted rules by alloting contracts without following tendering process. Maradia also alleged that Solanki was involved in a Rs 400-crore scam.
After a case under the Prevention of Corruption Act was filed against Solanki, the special ACB court in Gandhinagar asked the ACB to conduct an inquiry during August 2013 and directed its officials to submit a report.
The court will conduct further hearings based on that report.
"The report was submitted by the ACB on May 31. We have also requested the court to provide us with a copy of the report. Based on that report, the court will conduct further proceedings on June 30," Maradia`s lawyer Vikram Thakor said.
Solanki, who was a minister of state in the Narendra Modi government has not been retained by newly sworn in Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel, after she took over.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- IIT-Guwahati student develops a mobile app to monitor indoor air quality
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list