ACB submits Gujarat fisheries scam probe report to court
Ahmedabad: The Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) completed its inquiry into the Rs 400-crore fisheries scam, which allegedly involved former Gujarat fisheries minister Purushottam Solanki and submitted the report to the special ACB court in Gandhinagar, sources said.
The report was submitted last Saturday in the special ACB court of Judge B M Vyas.
"As per directions given by the court earlier, the ACB has finished its inquiry into the case and submitted its report in a sealed cover. Thus, I cannot reveal much about the contents of the report," Mehsana ACB`s Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) PJ Chaudhari, who conducted the inquiry and submitted the report to the court, said.
The case dates back to 2008, when Solanki was Gujarat fisheries minister and alloted fishing contracts in more than 40 dams in the state.
At that time, a Palanpur-based businessman called Ishaq Maradia had knocked at the doors of the Gujarat High Court and alleged that Sonalki flouted rules by alloting contracts without following tendering process. Maradia also alleged that Solanki was involved in a Rs 400-crore scam.
After a case under the Prevention of Corruption Act was filed against Solanki, the special ACB court in Gandhinagar asked the ACB to conduct an inquiry during August 2013 and directed its officials to submit a report.
The court will conduct further hearings based on that report.
"The report was submitted by the ACB on May 31. We have also requested the court to provide us with a copy of the report. Based on that report, the court will conduct further proceedings on June 30," Maradia`s lawyer Vikram Thakor said.
Solanki, who was a minister of state in the Narendra Modi government has not been retained by newly sworn in Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel, after she took over.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living