Accused IIM-A faculty gets relie from Guj HC
Ahmedabad: A faculty at Indian Institute
of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM-A), accused of plagiarism and
academic misdemeanour got some relief from the Gujarat High
Court which has asked the premier business school to conduct a
fresh inquiry into the matter.
The order was passed by a division bench of Justice
Akil Kureshi and Justice C L Soni yesterday while hearing a
contempt petition filed by Professor Rajanish Dass, who was
accused of plagiarism in three academic papers and in a report
on UNDP project.
Dass, who teaches at IIM-A`s Computer And Information
Systems Group (CISG) was alleged to have copied the content
without giving credit in two papers which were co-authored
with research associate Sujoy Pal and published in 2008 and
A two-member committee of professors Errol D’Souza and
Tathagata Bandyopadhyay who conducted a preliminary inquiry in
the matter concluded in their report submitted last month to
IIM-A director Samir Barua that the allegations against
professor Dass were `valid`.
When the inquiry was initiated in January, Dass had
approached the High Court complaining that the committee did
not provide him the documents on which it had relied upon.
The institute had then told the court that it would
supply all material to the faculty member.
However, when the committee submitted its report in
February, Dass moved the high court again demanding contempt
of court proceedings against Barua and inquiry committee for
not adhering to what they had promised before the High Court.
Dass`s counsel Bipin Mehta contended that the committee
did not provide him the relevant documents, but IIM-A`s lawyer
Nandish Chudgar countered him saying that Dass was having all
the documents with him.
He also said that Dass could submit his response in this
regard, which will be taken into consideration. Following
this, Dass withdrew his contempt of the court plea.
The Court asked the institute to take into account
Dass`s response and come up with a fresh report.
The professor has also filed another petition challenging
the inquiry itself, hearing on which is scheduled for March
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list