Acid attack on witness in rape case against Asaram
Surat: Two unidentified men here today threw acid at one of the witnesses in the rape case against the self-styled godman Asaram, police said.
This is a third attack targeting a witness in the rape cases against Asaram and his son. "A witness in the rape case against Asaram has suffered an acid attack by two men in Vesu area," Deputy Commissioner of Police Shobha Bhutda told PTI.
"The victim has been identified as Dinesh Bhavchandani (39) who has given a statement against Asaram in the case," said the officer.
"The incident took place when Bhavchandani was riding to his house near Vesu Royal Residency. Two men on a bike overtook him and threw acid," she said.
He was taken to a private hospital. This is a third case of attack on a witness in cases of rape against Asaram and his son Narayan Sai.
Asked about police protection for the witnesses, the DCP said, "Most witnesses are given police protection, but these three victims had refused it."
A Surat-based woman has accused Asaram of repeated rapes and illegal confinement between 1997 and 2006 when she was living at his ashram on the outskirts of Ahmedabad. Her younger sister has lodged a similar complaint against Narayan Sai.
Asaram (72) is currently in a Jodhpur jail after being arrested in September 2013 for sexually assaulting a minor girl at his ashram there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list