Agriculture, industry thriving side by side: Modi
Ahmedabad: Outlining various facets of development in Gujarat, state Chief Minister Narendra Modi, while addressing NRIs across 12 cities in USA on Sunday asserted that agriculture and industry were thriving in the state side by side.
"At a time when India`s agriculture is not growing beyond 3 per cent, Gujarat`s agriculture is growing at 11 per cent, despite the fact that unlike the rest of the country, the state is not blessed with perennial rivers," Modi told NRIs in the US through a video-conferencing session organised here.
The CM said that Gujarat has achieved "balanced growth" in sectors like agriculture, industry and services.
Speaking about agricultural growth, Modi told the overseas audience that the agricultural income has shot up to Rs 96,000 crore as compared to Rs 14,700 crore a decade ago, with farmers being the major beneficiaries.
"From 108 lakh hectares of agriculture land in 2001, Gujarat now has 135 lakh hectares," Modi said adding that he would not let the agriculture land get reduced.
This is for the first time that agriculture and industry are thriving side by side on such a vast scale, he asserted.
Modi told them that Gujarat`s milk production has risen by 68 per cent and the state is taking great strides in cotton production.
In 2001, Gujarat produced 23 lakh bales of cotton, but today the figure stands at 1.23 crore bales (one bale equals 170 kg).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest