Ahmedabad celebrates 600th birth anniversary
Ahmedabad: The city of Ahmedabad on Saturday celebrated 600 years of its existence amidst the demand being raised from various quarters to declare the original area around the fort as a world heritage site.
Referred to as Manchester of east once, the city has seen many upheavals in the last six centuries. It has also been witness to historic events like Mahatma Gandhi
spearheading India`s freedom movement.
Though it originated as a dusty town established by Ahmed Shah, it has now attained the distinction of being the third fastest growing city in the world as per a survey.
On this momentous occasion, citizens from various communities today walked together on the heritage route in the old city area and demanded that the original fort area should be listed as a world heritage site.
City based premier institutions like IIM-A, CEPT University, Mudra Institute of Communication and National Institute of Design have already made suggestions to earn UNESCO`s World Heritage City tag.
"If legends are to be believed Sultan Ahmed Shah was astonished to see that the rabbits on the river bank, instead of running away, confronted his hounds in defiance," the website of Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation(AMC) states.
"Believing the land to be sanctified, he laid the foundation of Ahmedabad, "The city of Ahmed" in 1411," it stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail