Ahmedabad celebrates 600th birth anniversary
Ahmedabad: The city of Ahmedabad on Saturday celebrated 600 years of its existence amidst the demand being raised from various quarters to declare the original area around the fort as a world heritage site.
Referred to as Manchester of east once, the city has seen many upheavals in the last six centuries. It has also been witness to historic events like Mahatma Gandhi
spearheading India`s freedom movement.
Though it originated as a dusty town established by Ahmed Shah, it has now attained the distinction of being the third fastest growing city in the world as per a survey.
On this momentous occasion, citizens from various communities today walked together on the heritage route in the old city area and demanded that the original fort area should be listed as a world heritage site.
City based premier institutions like IIM-A, CEPT University, Mudra Institute of Communication and National Institute of Design have already made suggestions to earn UNESCO`s World Heritage City tag.
"If legends are to be believed Sultan Ahmed Shah was astonished to see that the rabbits on the river bank, instead of running away, confronted his hounds in defiance," the website of Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation(AMC) states.
"Believing the land to be sanctified, he laid the foundation of Ahmedabad, "The city of Ahmed" in 1411," it stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’