Ahmedabad court acquits two in 2006 Kalupur bomb blast case
Ahmedabad: A local court here on Thursday acquitted two persons including a police official for want of evidence in the 2006 Kalupur bomb blast case.
Additional Sessions Judge B S Upadhyay acquitted Mohammad Iliyas Abdul Memon, a resident of Paldi in Ahmedabad, and Kamlesh Bhagora, a constable with Government Railway Police.
On February 19, 2006, a blast took place at the Ahmedabad railway station, in which at least 10 persons were injured and public property worth Rs 60,000 was destroyed.
The bomb had been originally placed on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad Karnavati Express, probe revealed.
The only evidence against Mohammad Iliyas was that he had talked to Aslam Kashmiri, who is wanted in a case relating to LeT sleeper cells in Gujarat. But police could neither recover a cell phone from Iliyas` possession nor obtain Call Data Records (CDRs) regarding his conversation with Kashmiri.
Bhagora had asked a porter to attend to an unclaimed bag kept in the AC compartment of the train. The coolie kept the bag near a tea stall between platform 2 and 3, and it exploded shortly.
Bhagora was arraigned as an accused, but he too was acquitted for lack of evidence.
The judge also highlighted poor investigation by the police in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation