Ahmedabad serial blast accused sent to 9-day police custody
Ahmedabad: The prime accused in the Ahmedabad serial bomb blasts case of 2008, Mohammad Shahid Nagori, was remanded in nine days police custody by a local court on Sunday.
Nagori, a member of Student Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) and an alleged Indian Mujahedeen (IM) operative, was arrested by Madhya Pradesh police on May 3 from Ujjain and handed over to the Gujarat police team lead by DCP Crime Branch Himanshu Shukla on transit remand.
The Crime Branch, which produced Nagori before the Metropolitan Magistrate K R Pandya today, had sought 14-day custody as it wanted to get information on his alleged role in 2008 serial blasts and the whereabouts of other 25 accused who are absconding.
Earlier in the day, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) K N Patel, while addressing a press conference, said that Nagori was trained for terrorist activities in a `Jehadi camp` organised in Vagamon forests in Kerala.
He also said that one of the accused Amer Parvez, who was arrested earlier and now an under-trial at Sabarmati Central Jail, had revealed the presence of Nagori at Vagamon Jehadi terror training camp.
With the arrest of Nagori, the number of accused arrested in connection with the blasts has gone up to 74 while 24 more accused including Riaz and Iqbal Bhatkal are still wanted.
56 persons were killed and over 100 injured in a series of 21 bomb blasts that hit Ahmedabad on July 26, 2008, within a span of 70 minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj