Ahmedabad serial blast accused sent to 9-day police custody
Ahmedabad: The prime accused in the Ahmedabad serial bomb blasts case of 2008, Mohammad Shahid Nagori, was remanded in nine days police custody by a local court on Sunday.
Nagori, a member of Student Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) and an alleged Indian Mujahedeen (IM) operative, was arrested by Madhya Pradesh police on May 3 from Ujjain and handed over to the Gujarat police team lead by DCP Crime Branch Himanshu Shukla on transit remand.
The Crime Branch, which produced Nagori before the Metropolitan Magistrate K R Pandya today, had sought 14-day custody as it wanted to get information on his alleged role in 2008 serial blasts and the whereabouts of other 25 accused who are absconding.
Earlier in the day, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) K N Patel, while addressing a press conference, said that Nagori was trained for terrorist activities in a `Jehadi camp` organised in Vagamon forests in Kerala.
He also said that one of the accused Amer Parvez, who was arrested earlier and now an under-trial at Sabarmati Central Jail, had revealed the presence of Nagori at Vagamon Jehadi terror training camp.
With the arrest of Nagori, the number of accused arrested in connection with the blasts has gone up to 74 while 24 more accused including Riaz and Iqbal Bhatkal are still wanted.
56 persons were killed and over 100 injured in a series of 21 bomb blasts that hit Ahmedabad on July 26, 2008, within a span of 70 minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials