AICC is All India Coal Congress: Narendra Modi
Unai: Under attack over alleged inaction on the issue of farmers suicide in poll-bound Gujarat, Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday announced waiver of Rs 300 crore interest on crop loans and a rebate in power for drought-hit farmers.
Focussing on issues concerning the state on the second day of his month-long `yatra`, Modi at the same time continued his attack on the Congress on the coalgate row, dubbing All India Congress Committee (AICC) as "All India Coal Congress."
The BJP stalwart also appeared to take a dig at JD(U) leader and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar when he said that nobody complains when political parties use Osama bin Laden lookalikes during election campaigns in Bihar, but have problems if he takes out a rally.
"Parties used an Osama bin Laden duplicate during the campaigning in Bihar elections and everybody remained silent. Now, when I am taking out a rally in the name of Vivekananda, what is their problem?", he said. Modi`s present campaign tour has been named `Swami Vivekananda Yuva Vikas Yatra`.
On sops to farmers, Modi said, "It has been decided that interest on the crop loans taken by farmers, hit by the drought like conditions, shall be borne by the state government, which would be around Rs 300 crore."
"The government has also decided to give 50 per cent relief in the electricity bills of such farmers," Modi told newsmen on the sidelines of his Yatra.
"It`s also the responsibility of state government to be concerned about farmers who are facing hardships, on account of drought like situation prevailing in Gujarat, earlier," Modi said.
Hit by crop failure, several farmers mainly from Saurashtra region had committed suicide.
Opposition Congress has made farmers suicide a major issue ahead of the polls in Gujarat, accusing the ruling BJP government of inaction.
Targeting the Congress in the coalgate row, Modi said
"You would have heard of theft of diamonds, gold, silver, but have you ever heard that somebody took away coal? Congress people have stolen coal, worth Rs 2 lakh crore."
Modi also attacked the Gandhi family and took a dig at Congress`s slogan `Change the direction to change your condition` when he said Congress`s direction was of "dynasty rule".
"Only one family gets importance.... If they make someone Prime Minister, he has to go to the family before taking any decision," he said.
"Congress`s `direction` is of nepotism, spreading communalism, divisive politics and not fulfilling promises," he alleged, adding "We do not want that in Gujarat."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing