Air Chief visits Pathankot air base
Pathankot: Chief of Indian Air Force (IAF)
Pradeep Vasant Naik reviewed the preparedness of the Pathankot
Air Force Station as part of a two day visit to the base.
Naik, who commenced his visit yesterday, reviewed the
preparedness of the local air force station at a meeting here
with local Air Force Station officials, an official spokesman
said here today.
On his arrival, Air Chief and President AFWWA Madhubala
were received by Air Commodore Rajesh Kumar Air Officer
Commanding Air Force Station Pathankot and Jaya Kumar,
President AFWWA (Local), the spokesman said.
During his visit, the Air Chief addressed air warriors
of the station and visited the operational units based at the
station, one of them being 26 Squadron, of which he is the
The Squadron was commanded by him from November 24, 1986
to December 18, 1988. A frontline fighter squadron of the
Indian Air Force, 26 Squadron called the `Warriors` was formed
on January 1, 1968 at Adampur.
The spokesman said that it was the first squadron of the
Indian Air Force to be equipped with Su-7 aircraft.
Within three years of its inception, the squadron played
a very active role during the Indo-Pak War of 1971. During the
fourteen days of war, the Squadron earned four Vir Chakras,
two Vayu Sena Medals, one Vishisht Seva Medal and one
Mention-in-Dispatches epitomising valour that would make any
fighter squadron proud.
In 1977, the Squadron was re-equipped with Mig-21
aircraft and moved to its present location in Pathankot.
Meanwhile, BSF has stepped up its vigil along the
international border in Gurdaspur district as a precautionary
measure and in view of the general alert issued by the Centre
in the wake of Osama Bin Laden`s killing.
Official sources said that the district police and
railway police have also stepped up vigil around vital
installations, including railway installations in order to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US