Alleged roughing up of MP referred to Privileges C
New Delhi: The alleged roughing up of a Congress Lok Sabha MP by the Gujarat police during the state day celebrations has been referred to the Privileges Committee for examination, Speaker Meira Kumar said o Thursday.
"The safety and security of a member of the House is a cause of serious concern. I have referred the matter to the Committee of Privileges for examination and report," the Speaker said during Zero Hour.
Kumar said she had received a privilege notice from the member Prabha Kishore Taviad on the incident.
Gujarat government had yesterday came under sharp attack in the Lok Sabha from Congress non-NDA parties when Taviad, who represents the tribal constituency of Dahod, claimed she was manhandled by police, putting the BJP on backfoot.
Besides Congress, members of the Left parties, SP, BSP, Trinamool Congress, AIADMK and RJD got together and said swift action was necessary. Some members said it should be referred to the Privileges Committee and stern action should be taken against the guilty.
Girija Vyas (Cong), who raised the issue on behalf of a visibly upset Taviad, said the latter was not allowed by the police to attend the Gujarat Divas celebrations at Dahod.
She claimed that Taviad and some Congress MLAs were manhandled by the police and taken 300-400 km away in a police vehicle. Taviad was provided medical help only at 8 pm and later allowed to board a train for Delhi. Taviad displayed bruises on her arms in the House yesterday, leading to a furore by several non-BJP parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda