Amit Shah accuses CBI of malafide in seeking his custody again
New Delhi: Former Gujarat Minister Amit Shah on Tuesday accused the CBI in the Supreme Court of acting with a "malafide design" to seek his police custody again by filing a separate chargesheet in the Tulsiram Prajapati fake encounter case.
He told the apex court that despite putting on record in the Soharabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case that Prajapati`s killing was "inter-connected" and "integral part of the conspiracy hatched as a part of the same transaction," the CBI took a contrary stand in its charge sheet in the Prajapati case, filed last November.
"The CBI stand is a malafide design to seek police custody of Shah a second time. That is the whole purpose of taking two stands," his counsel Mahesh Jethmalani submitted before a bench of justices P Sathasivam and B S Chauhan.
"The CBI had said both Sohrabuddin Sheikh and Prajapati killings are inter-connected and part of the same transaction. If that is so, the trial has to take place together," he said and added that contrary to that stand, the agency filed a separate charge sheet and called Prajapati`s encounter as a part of a different conspiracy.
Shah, was arrested by the CBI on July 25, 2010 and had spent over three months in Sabarmati Jail in Ahmedabad in connection with the Sohrabuddin case, the trial of which has been shifted to Mumbai court and the apex court had given liberty to the CBI to seek permission for transferring the Prajapati case also there.
The advocate said the agency had maintained in the charge sheet and status report of probe in the Sohrabuddin case that Prajapati was gunned down because he was the eye witness in the case of killing of Sohrabuddin and his wife Kauser Bi in November 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings