Amit Shah exempted from appearance in Tulsi Prajapati case
Mumbai: In a relief for close Narendra Modi aide Amit Shah, a special CBI court here today exempted him from personal appearance in the alleged fake encounter case of Tulsiram Prajapati on health grounds.
Shah, a BJP general secretary and Gujarat`s former Minister of State for Home, did not appear before the court and filed an application seeking exemption through his lawyer Devang Vyas.
In his application, Shah said he was a diabetic and required to undergo frequent medical tests and treatment.
Shah has also filed a discharge application in the court of special CBI judge B D Uptat which is likely to pass an order on June 16.
The court had on May 9 issued summonses to Shah and other accused in the case, which had been transferred from Gujarat.
The CBI had charge-sheeted Shah and 18 others, including several police officers, in the case last September. According to CBI, gangster Sohrabuddin Sheikh, who is suspected to have links with the Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba, and his wife Kauser Bi were abducted by Gujarat`s Anti-Terrorism Squad when they were on way from Hyderabad to Sangli in Maharashtra and killed in an alleged fake encounter near Gandhinagar in November 2005.
Tulsiram Prajapati, an eye-witness to the encounter, was killed by police at Chapri village in Banaskantha district of Gujarat in December 2006.
Shah, who was then Minister of State for Home, was allegedly involved in the conspiracy behind both the incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail