Amit Shah falsely implicated in Sohrabuddin encounter case: Narendra Modi
New Delhi: Coming out in support of former state minister Amit Shah, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday termed his arrest as "unfortunate" and claimed that he was falsely implicated in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.
"Judiciary is not under the government and is independent. Therefore, the state government need not comment on it. It is unfortunate he (Shah) was falsely implicated in the case and sent to jail, which is most unfortunate," Modi told TV channels in Gujarat during his month-long yatra.
Attacking the UPA government at the Centre, he said it was using CBI as a tool to harass political rivals.
"To remain in power, Congress government in Delhi has CBI as the only tool. CBI is being misused in Gujarat. Innocent citizens are being harassed. It is my serious charge that CBI would be used with all might during the Gujarat Assembly elections," he said.
Earlier in the day, BJP president Nitin Gadkari and Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley also attacked the CBI.
"One of our Rajasthan ministers was tormented and sent to jail, Amit Shah has been regularly implicated in false cases. Police officers who fought terrorism are facing cases," Gadkari said here.
Like his party chief, Jaitley also attacked the functioning of the CBI. "The situation of CBI is such that whichever party is in government, (it works) to serve that party and preserve it. I say it without hesitation that the UPA would not have been in power if CBI was not its biggest ally," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read