Amit Shah falsely implicated in Sohrabuddin encounter case: Narendra Modi
New Delhi: Coming out in support of former state minister Amit Shah, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday termed his arrest as "unfortunate" and claimed that he was falsely implicated in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.
"Judiciary is not under the government and is independent. Therefore, the state government need not comment on it. It is unfortunate he (Shah) was falsely implicated in the case and sent to jail, which is most unfortunate," Modi told TV channels in Gujarat during his month-long yatra.
Attacking the UPA government at the Centre, he said it was using CBI as a tool to harass political rivals.
"To remain in power, Congress government in Delhi has CBI as the only tool. CBI is being misused in Gujarat. Innocent citizens are being harassed. It is my serious charge that CBI would be used with all might during the Gujarat Assembly elections," he said.
Earlier in the day, BJP president Nitin Gadkari and Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley also attacked the CBI.
"One of our Rajasthan ministers was tormented and sent to jail, Amit Shah has been regularly implicated in false cases. Police officers who fought terrorism are facing cases," Gadkari said here.
Like his party chief, Jaitley also attacked the functioning of the CBI. "The situation of CBI is such that whichever party is in government, (it works) to serve that party and preserve it. I say it without hesitation that the UPA would not have been in power if CBI was not its biggest ally," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!