Amit Shah retracts poll statement, says BJP will decide
Ahmedabad: In a quick U-turn from his statement that he would contest the upcoming Assembly polls, former Gujarat minister of state for Home, Amit Shah Sunday night said his statement was misconstrued by media.
"It is for the party (BJP) to decide whether to give me ticket or not," Shah said.
Shah, a BJP MLA and a close aide of chief minister Narendra Modi, is an accused in Soharabuddin Sheikh and Tulsi Prajapati fake encounter cases. He is currently out on bail.
Earlier in the day, Shah told reporters on the sidelines of a press meet that "I will not only be contesting the elections, but I am going to win this time also with comfortable margins."
"Last time, I had won from Sarkhej Assembly seat with the margin of over 2.50 lakh votes. Now, after the delimitation, it has been divided into three constituencies- Vejalpur, Ghatlodia and Naranpura. I can win from any of these with comfortable margins," he said.
Shah addressed media at a press-meet organised to announce the Central Board of Cricket Ahmedabad elections.
The Supreme Court last month allowed Shah to return to Gujarat after rejecting CBI`s plea to cancel the bail granted to him in Sohrabuddin Sheikh encounter case.
Since his return, Shah had been keeping a low profile and stayed away from public functions as well as media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- PM Narendra Modi's gift on Maha Shivaratari: A 112-foot face of Lord Shiva - Read details