Amit Shah`s summoning: BJP says CBI reached `lowest benchmark`
New Delhi: In the wake of CBI summoning
Gujarat Home Minister Amit Shah in the Sohrabuddin encounter
case, BJP on Thursday said the investigating agency had reached the
"lowest benchmark" after indulging in "selective leaks" in the
media about the probe.
"The entire matter has been investigated by the Gujarat
Special Investigation Team and the Supreme Court appointed SIT
headed by R K Raghavan but Amit Shah`s name did not come up.
Now the CBI, after selective leaks in the media, has summoned
him," BJP Chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
He maintained that the BJP wanted a fair investigation
into the matter and the authorities had the right to decide
what legal course should be taken.
Shah has been summoned by CBI in the Sohrabuddin
encounter case and is expected to depose tomorrow. A case was
built against him reportedly on the basis of phone calls made
by him to a police officer who was part of the encounter team.
Prasad accused the CBI of becoming a tool in the hands
of the Congress-led UPA government, which was "manipulating
the investigating agency to serve its ends".
"It has reached the lowest benchmark," Prasad alleged.
The CBI has a "very sad record", he said, adding that
this was visible in the manner in which cases against RJD
Chief Lalu Prasad and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati
were handled keeping in mind the "political expediency" of the
He also mentioned the case of Bofors accused Ottavio
Quattrochi alleging that he was allowed to "flee out of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!