Anna celebrates 75th b’day with underprivileged kids
Ahmednagar: Social activist Anna Hazare Friday celebrated his 75th birthday with hundreds of children at a rehabilitation centre in Ahmednagar, around 40 km from his hometown Ralegan Siddhi.
Hazare`s associates said he preferred not to have elaborate celebrations for his birthday owing to the drought in Maharashtra.
Hazare spent time with children of Snehalaya, an NGO that runs a rehabilitation centre for HIV-positive patients, the activist`s close aide Suresh Pathare said to a news agency.
Hazare also laid the foundation stone of an English-medium school in Ahmednagar.
Hazare had earlier told reporters that he wanted to celebrate his 75th birthday without any fanfare.
"However, he accepted the invitation from Snehalaya as it is for a social cause," Pathare said.
The NGO also runs rehabilitation projects for prostitutes and their children, orphans and other underprivileged children.
The proposed school will provide free education to underprivileged and differently-abled children.
The NGO also organised an `Amrut Mahotsav` ceremony in honour of Hazare.
Several other NGOs from the Ahmednagar district also jointly distributed one lakh books about Hazare`s life and his message to the youth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men