Anna celebrates 75th b’day with underprivileged kids
Ahmednagar: Social activist Anna Hazare Friday celebrated his 75th birthday with hundreds of children at a rehabilitation centre in Ahmednagar, around 40 km from his hometown Ralegan Siddhi.
Hazare`s associates said he preferred not to have elaborate celebrations for his birthday owing to the drought in Maharashtra.
Hazare spent time with children of Snehalaya, an NGO that runs a rehabilitation centre for HIV-positive patients, the activist`s close aide Suresh Pathare said to a news agency.
Hazare also laid the foundation stone of an English-medium school in Ahmednagar.
Hazare had earlier told reporters that he wanted to celebrate his 75th birthday without any fanfare.
"However, he accepted the invitation from Snehalaya as it is for a social cause," Pathare said.
The NGO also runs rehabilitation projects for prostitutes and their children, orphans and other underprivileged children.
The proposed school will provide free education to underprivileged and differently-abled children.
The NGO also organised an `Amrut Mahotsav` ceremony in honour of Hazare.
Several other NGOs from the Ahmednagar district also jointly distributed one lakh books about Hazare`s life and his message to the youth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened