Anna celebrates 75th b’day with underprivileged kids
Ahmednagar: Social activist Anna Hazare Friday celebrated his 75th birthday with hundreds of children at a rehabilitation centre in Ahmednagar, around 40 km from his hometown Ralegan Siddhi.
Hazare`s associates said he preferred not to have elaborate celebrations for his birthday owing to the drought in Maharashtra.
Hazare spent time with children of Snehalaya, an NGO that runs a rehabilitation centre for HIV-positive patients, the activist`s close aide Suresh Pathare said to a news agency.
Hazare also laid the foundation stone of an English-medium school in Ahmednagar.
Hazare had earlier told reporters that he wanted to celebrate his 75th birthday without any fanfare.
"However, he accepted the invitation from Snehalaya as it is for a social cause," Pathare said.
The NGO also runs rehabilitation projects for prostitutes and their children, orphans and other underprivileged children.
The proposed school will provide free education to underprivileged and differently-abled children.
The NGO also organised an `Amrut Mahotsav` ceremony in honour of Hazare.
Several other NGOs from the Ahmednagar district also jointly distributed one lakh books about Hazare`s life and his message to the youth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader