Anna celebrates 75th b’day with underprivileged kids
Ahmednagar: Social activist Anna Hazare Friday celebrated his 75th birthday with hundreds of children at a rehabilitation centre in Ahmednagar, around 40 km from his hometown Ralegan Siddhi.
Hazare`s associates said he preferred not to have elaborate celebrations for his birthday owing to the drought in Maharashtra.
Hazare spent time with children of Snehalaya, an NGO that runs a rehabilitation centre for HIV-positive patients, the activist`s close aide Suresh Pathare said to a news agency.
Hazare also laid the foundation stone of an English-medium school in Ahmednagar.
Hazare had earlier told reporters that he wanted to celebrate his 75th birthday without any fanfare.
"However, he accepted the invitation from Snehalaya as it is for a social cause," Pathare said.
The NGO also runs rehabilitation projects for prostitutes and their children, orphans and other underprivileged children.
The proposed school will provide free education to underprivileged and differently-abled children.
The NGO also organised an `Amrut Mahotsav` ceremony in honour of Hazare.
Several other NGOs from the Ahmednagar district also jointly distributed one lakh books about Hazare`s life and his message to the youth.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Uttarakhand forest fires show signs of abating
- Smoking inside home makes kids ill
- Turkey says prevented 85 security incidents since January
- Nagaland Board of School Education (HSLC) Class 10 Results 2016 to be declared today; check nbsenagaland.com, nagaland.gov.in
- IPL 2016, Match 30: Yusuf Pathan's heroics power Kolkata Knight Riders to five-wicket win over Royal Challengers Bangalore