Another rape victim attempts suicide inside court premises in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: A rape victim attempted suicide at the Gujarat High Court here on Tuesday, alleging "delay in justice".
The 26-year-old woman tried to take the extreme step by consuming poison inside the court room of Justice Ashish Desai after today`s proceedings were adjourned as the accused`s lawyer was on sick leave.
However, Sola police personnel said that it is still unclear as to why she took the step. The victim is unconscious and the cause behind her extreme step is yet to be ascertained, Sola police sub-inspector K M Damor said.
The incident goes back to 2008 when a youth Sandip Panchal allegedly raped her in the absence of her husband and also filmed the entire episode to blackmail her.
According to the police, the victim lodged a complaint in this regard last year.
After the city sessions court granted anticipatory bail to the accused, she moved the Gujarat High Court seeking cancellation of his bail, for which the hearing was adjourned today.
Unhappy with the constant "delay in court proceedings", the victim consumed poison in the court room today, after which she was rushed to the Sola Civil Hospital, where she is an unconscious state.
Her father-in-law told police officials that it was unclear as to why she took the extreme step, though he admitted her trauma.
This is the second such incident in 35 days when a rape victim attempted suicide by consuming poison inside court premises.
On January 23, a gangrape victim had attempted suicide by consuming a poison in the premises of the metropolitan court here, alleging `delay` in justice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi