Another ship carrying toxic substance docks at Alang
Ahmedabad: The Union Ministry of Environment & Forests (MoEF) has sought details from the Gujarat Pollution Control Board (GPCB) and Gujarat
Maritime Board (GMB) on a ship that has come for dismantling at Alang which is allegedly carrying hazardous toxic substance.
"We have sought information from the GPCB and GMB with regard to a ship docked in Alang following an email by the Indian Platform on Ship breaking," Director, Focal Point Basel Convention, Hazardous Substances Management Division (MoEF), Dr Saroj said.
Convener of Indian Platform on Ship breaking (IPOS), Gopal Krishna, in a letter dated October 10 had written to the MoEF that a ship from the US `Platinum II` (formerly SS Independence) which had anchored at Alang Ship breaking yard in Bhavnagar district, was carrying hazardous toxic waste including radioactive substances.
"This 682 foot ocean liner is loaded with an estimated 210 tons of toxic polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) contaminated material and an estimated 250 tons of asbestos as part of its construction," Krishna wrote in the letter and demanded that the ship should be sent back to the US.
Environment officer of GMB Atul Sharma said that the ship, brought in by Kampas Shipping Agency, Alang, is being inspected for hazardous substance and it would go on for the next 10 to 15 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof