Around 54 per cent turnout in Surat West bypoll
Ahmedabad: An estimated 54 per cent polling was registered on Wednesday in the by-election held for Surat (West) Assembly constituency, a top Election Commission officer said.
"Close to 54.16 per cent votes were polled. No untoward incident was reported," Gujarat Chief Electoral Officer Anita Karwal told reporters.
Surat Collector Jayprakash Shivhare said three EVMs developed a glitch initially when the voting began in the morning but they were promptly replaced by the authorities.
No untoward incident was reported from any polling booths, he said, adding voting was largely peaceful.
As per the Supreme Court guidelines, EVMs had a None-of-the-above (NOTA) option for voters.
BJP`s city unit president Purnesh Modi and Congress candidate D L Patel are in the fray for the seat which has traditionally been a BJP stronghold.
The bypoll was necessitated following the death of sitting BJP MLA Kishore Vankawala this June.
The campaigning largely remained a low-key affair as no national leader from both the parties participated in it.
The constituency has over two lakh eligible voters.
The Election commission had declared 37 out of 201 polling booths in the constituency as sensitive.
The counting of votes will take place on December 8.
The state`s ruling BJP has 119 MLAs in the 182-member House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you