Asaram Bapu’s bail plea rejected by Gujarat court
Zee Media Bureau
Ahmedabad: A Gujarat court on Wednesday rejected the bail plea of self-styled godman Asaram Bapu, currently lodged in prison on charges of sexually assaulting a minor.
Asaram had on October 24 moved the sessions court in Gandhinagar for regular bail on grounds of delay in filing of FIR in connection with another sexual assault case lodged by two Surat-based sisters against him and son Narayan Sai.
Asaram was brought to Gujarat earlier this month on a transit remand from Jodhpur. Thereafter, the 72-year-old was quizzed extensively by Ahmedabad Police during the seven-day remand granted by a Magisterial Court in Gandhinagar. He was later taken back to Jodhpur.
A Special Investigation Team (SIT) of Ahmedabad police is probing the sexual assault case filed against Asaram.
The elder of the two sisters had accused Asaram of sexually assaulting her between 1997 and 2006 when she had been living in his ashram on the outskirts of Ahmedabad.
The younger one had filed a complaint against Sai, who is absconding, accusing him of repeated sexual assault between 2002 and 2005 when she was living in Surat ashram.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre