Asaram Bapu’s bail plea rejected by Gujarat court
Zee Media Bureau
Ahmedabad: A Gujarat court on Wednesday rejected the bail plea of self-styled godman Asaram Bapu, currently lodged in prison on charges of sexually assaulting a minor.
Asaram had on October 24 moved the sessions court in Gandhinagar for regular bail on grounds of delay in filing of FIR in connection with another sexual assault case lodged by two Surat-based sisters against him and son Narayan Sai.
Asaram was brought to Gujarat earlier this month on a transit remand from Jodhpur. Thereafter, the 72-year-old was quizzed extensively by Ahmedabad Police during the seven-day remand granted by a Magisterial Court in Gandhinagar. He was later taken back to Jodhpur.
A Special Investigation Team (SIT) of Ahmedabad police is probing the sexual assault case filed against Asaram.
The elder of the two sisters had accused Asaram of sexually assaulting her between 1997 and 2006 when she had been living in his ashram on the outskirts of Ahmedabad.
The younger one had filed a complaint against Sai, who is absconding, accusing him of repeated sexual assault between 2002 and 2005 when she was living in Surat ashram.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price