`Asaram enjoying political patronage`
Ahmedabad: The father of one of the two boys found dead near Asaram Ashram here in 2008 on Wednesday claimed the real culprits were still at large and Asaram Bapu was enjoying "political patronage".
Cousins Dipesh Vaghela (10) and Abhishek Vaghela (11) went missing from the residential school -- Gurukul -- run by the controversial godman on July 3, 2008. Two days later, their mutilated bodies were found in the riverbed nearby.
"Five years have passed, but the real culprits were never brought to book," Dipesh`s father Prafful Vaghela said here.
"Law is in his (Asaram`s) pockets," he claimed.
After the bodies were found, there was a widespread agitation against the ashram, with allegations that the deaths were linked to `black magic` practised there.
Asaram Bapu is now again in the thick of controversy after a minor girl recently accused him of rape.
"Rajasthan Chief Minister at least came out and told media that the police is taking action against Asaram. But, when our children died, the Gujarat Chief Minister didn`t utter a single word," Vaghela alleged.
"Asaram enjoys political patronage," he said.
"I appeal, not to all saints, but to the people of India, that saints such as Asaram are defaming people of the ilk (other saints)," he said.
State CID in 2009 booked seven followers of Asaram Bapu in the case under section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) in relation with the boys` death. The state government also appointed Justice D K Trivedi Commission to probe the incident, which submitted its report only last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan