`Asaram enjoying political patronage`
Ahmedabad: The father of one of the two boys found dead near Asaram Ashram here in 2008 on Wednesday claimed the real culprits were still at large and Asaram Bapu was enjoying "political patronage".
Cousins Dipesh Vaghela (10) and Abhishek Vaghela (11) went missing from the residential school -- Gurukul -- run by the controversial godman on July 3, 2008. Two days later, their mutilated bodies were found in the riverbed nearby.
"Five years have passed, but the real culprits were never brought to book," Dipesh`s father Prafful Vaghela said here.
"Law is in his (Asaram`s) pockets," he claimed.
After the bodies were found, there was a widespread agitation against the ashram, with allegations that the deaths were linked to `black magic` practised there.
Asaram Bapu is now again in the thick of controversy after a minor girl recently accused him of rape.
"Rajasthan Chief Minister at least came out and told media that the police is taking action against Asaram. But, when our children died, the Gujarat Chief Minister didn`t utter a single word," Vaghela alleged.
"Asaram enjoys political patronage," he said.
"I appeal, not to all saints, but to the people of India, that saints such as Asaram are defaming people of the ilk (other saints)," he said.
State CID in 2009 booked seven followers of Asaram Bapu in the case under section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) in relation with the boys` death. The state government also appointed Justice D K Trivedi Commission to probe the incident, which submitted its report only last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room