`Asaram enjoying political patronage`
Ahmedabad: The father of one of the two boys found dead near Asaram Ashram here in 2008 on Wednesday claimed the real culprits were still at large and Asaram Bapu was enjoying "political patronage".
Cousins Dipesh Vaghela (10) and Abhishek Vaghela (11) went missing from the residential school -- Gurukul -- run by the controversial godman on July 3, 2008. Two days later, their mutilated bodies were found in the riverbed nearby.
"Five years have passed, but the real culprits were never brought to book," Dipesh`s father Prafful Vaghela said here.
"Law is in his (Asaram`s) pockets," he claimed.
After the bodies were found, there was a widespread agitation against the ashram, with allegations that the deaths were linked to `black magic` practised there.
Asaram Bapu is now again in the thick of controversy after a minor girl recently accused him of rape.
"Rajasthan Chief Minister at least came out and told media that the police is taking action against Asaram. But, when our children died, the Gujarat Chief Minister didn`t utter a single word," Vaghela alleged.
"Asaram enjoys political patronage," he said.
"I appeal, not to all saints, but to the people of India, that saints such as Asaram are defaming people of the ilk (other saints)," he said.
State CID in 2009 booked seven followers of Asaram Bapu in the case under section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) in relation with the boys` death. The state government also appointed Justice D K Trivedi Commission to probe the incident, which submitted its report only last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured