`Asaram enjoying political patronage`
Ahmedabad: The father of one of the two boys found dead near Asaram Ashram here in 2008 on Wednesday claimed the real culprits were still at large and Asaram Bapu was enjoying "political patronage".
Cousins Dipesh Vaghela (10) and Abhishek Vaghela (11) went missing from the residential school -- Gurukul -- run by the controversial godman on July 3, 2008. Two days later, their mutilated bodies were found in the riverbed nearby.
"Five years have passed, but the real culprits were never brought to book," Dipesh`s father Prafful Vaghela said here.
"Law is in his (Asaram`s) pockets," he claimed.
After the bodies were found, there was a widespread agitation against the ashram, with allegations that the deaths were linked to `black magic` practised there.
Asaram Bapu is now again in the thick of controversy after a minor girl recently accused him of rape.
"Rajasthan Chief Minister at least came out and told media that the police is taking action against Asaram. But, when our children died, the Gujarat Chief Minister didn`t utter a single word," Vaghela alleged.
"Asaram enjoys political patronage," he said.
"I appeal, not to all saints, but to the people of India, that saints such as Asaram are defaming people of the ilk (other saints)," he said.
State CID in 2009 booked seven followers of Asaram Bapu in the case under section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) in relation with the boys` death. The state government also appointed Justice D K Trivedi Commission to probe the incident, which submitted its report only last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Lloyds to cut 3,000 jobs, close more branches after Brexit shock
- Chhattisgarh IAS officer claims 94% of death row convicts are Dalits, Muslims, triggers row
- Mahasweta Devi—A voice of the oppressed
- No objection to Rajnath attending SAARC meeting in Pak: Congress
- Punjabi films are Surveen Chawla's first love!- READ