Asaram undergoes potency test in sexual assault case
Ahmedabad: Controversial godman Asaram was on Wednesday subjected to a potency test in connection with a sexual assault case lodged against him and his son Narayan Sai by two Surat-based sisters.
"Asaram was taken to civil hospital for potency test in connection with the sexual assault case lodged against him," a senior police official said.
Asaram, 72, was brought to the city on Monday evening on a transit remand from a court in Jodhpur where he was lodged in a jail since August in another sexual assault case involving minor daughter of one of his devotees.
A magisterial court in Gandhinagar yesterday remanded him in four-day police custody.
Surat police recently registered two complaints - one against Asaram and another against Narayan Sai - of rape, sexual assault, illegal confinement and other charges as alleged by the two sisters.
The elder of the sisters, in her complaint, had accused Asaram of repeated sexual assault between 1997 and 2006 when she had been living in his ashram on the outskirts of Ahmedabad city. The case against Asaram was transferred to Chandkheda police station as the incident took place here.
The younger of the two sisters had filed a complaint against Narayan Sai, whose whereabouts are still not known, accusing him of repeated sexual assault between 2002 and 2005 when she was living in their Surat ashram.
Narayan Sai and Asaram had also filed petitions in the Gujarat High Court, seeking quashing of the plaints on the grounds of delay in filing them and that they are based on flimsy grounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!